Hells Bells Helmets is a helmet manufacturing and production company that plans, designs and creates custom, 3-D printed motorcycle helmets. The company has almost three decades of experience in creating proprietary helmets, and all of its helmets are Department of Transportation (DOT) approved.
Hells Bells Helmets’ creator, Marix Stone, has been designing helmets since the early 1990s and was one of the first people to create bespoke, custom-built helmets. Stone, an avid motorbike enthusiast, was originally a sculptor and combined his love for biking and sculpting to create Hells Bells Helmets. He paired with Hells Bells Helmets’ co-founder, Nancy Tanchel, to create the company.
How Did The Shark Tank Pitch Go?
Marix and Dr. Nancy made an appearance on Season 1, Episode 11 of Shark Tank. The pair were looking for a $500,000 investment and offering a 20% stake in their business in return. Stone starts out the demonstration by saying a helmet is necessary, so why not wear a cool-looking helmet. Dr. Nancy follows up by explaining their projected sales and the company’s profit margins.
Both Kevin O’Leary and Kevin Harrington are unimpressed and are out as they don’t see potential in the business. Barbara follows as she isn’t interested in entering the hardcore biking gear market. Robert Herjavec is also out, stating he thinks the price and valuation are too high for a business that is still unproven.
Daymond, the last remaining shark and the only shark with an interest in biking, believes the business can make money by permitting the use of its 3D printing technology to its helmet-producing competitors. He makes an offer of $500,000 and wants a 50% stake in return. Marix and Dr. Nancy accept Daymond’s deal.
Our Review of Hells Bells Helmets
After the Hells Bells Helmets Shark Tank episode aired, the deal between the pair and Daymond never went through. Stone said Daymond wanted to take Hells Bells Helmets production to China – something Stone wasn’t interested in. He believed in quality over quantity and thought Chinese production wasn’t capable of producing to the specifications he required.
Hells Bells Helmets later renamed the brand to ‘BADASS Helmets’ and has expanded and grown ever since. Hells Bells Helmets or BADASS Helmets are now available on their online website, in independent biking shops, and in many Harley Davidson stores worldwide.
Hells Bells Helmets produces high-quality, comfortable, and stylish biking helmets. They advertise hand-crafted quality and styles you won’t find anywhere else. Their super-stylish helmets are all also Department of Transportation (DOT) approved and legal.
Hells Bells Helmets sizing is great, not too tight nor too loose. The interior of their helmet’s contour to the head, which means they do not lift up as you ride. The insides are also soft and silky, which means no burns or chafing around the neck or head.
Hells Bells Helmets are also incredibly protective and safe. Their deep recessed crown shells are incredibly strong. Their helmets feature one-finger, ‘shark-tooth’ locks that are easy to use and also super secure. They have polycarbonate, fiberglass, and carbon fiber helmets available to purchase, all of which are DOT approved, protective, and safe. Hells Bells Helmets are also incredibly lightweight, which is a great plus, especially for long bike rides and regular wear.
Pros of Hells Bells Helmets
- Comfortable: Every part of Hells Bells Helmets is comfortable. The shell, the interior, the trim, the straps, and the fit are all designed with comfort in mind.
- Safe: All Hells Bells Helmets are DOT certified and approved. For the highest safety and protection, their helmet hardware is nickel, the trims feature steel-reinforced rubber, and their composites are either carbon fiber, high-impact fiberglass, or high-impact polycarbonate.
- Stylish: Hells Bells Helmets are incredibly stylish. Hells Bells Helmet products are high-quality, well-built, and come with a smooth finish. They also mention the look/style – low profile, skin-tight, sleek profile – to make picking and choosing a helmet as easy as possible.
- Durable: Hells Bells Helmets are manufactured using high-quality materials throughout and will last you for many years to come.
- Locks: Hells Bells Helmets locks and straps are some of the bests in the helmet market. Their ‘shark-tooth’ one-click locks are super simple to use, both attaching and detaching, while also being incredibly secure.
- Lightweight: Hells Bells Helmets are very lightweight as they feature nothing more than necessary. They feature no extra bulk, which bikers love, especially for regular or long bike rides.
Cons of Hells Bells Helmets
- Price: Hells Bells Helmets are expensive when compared to other similar helmets in the biking market.
- Variety: Hells Bells Helmets don’t offer a lot of variety in their products. As of writing this review, Hells Bells Helmets only have ten different helmets on offer.
- No Full-Face Options: Hells Bells Helmets don’t have any full-face helmets on offer for riders that want that extra level of protection and safety.
Who is Hells Bells Helmets for?
Hells Bells Helmets are for bikers looking for lightweight, protective, stylish, comfortable, and Department of Transportation-approved helmets. They offer helmets that are manufactured with high-quality materials and provide unbelievable comfort and unmatched style. They are especially great for bikers who find the average biking helmet to be too heavy as Hells Bells Helmets are incredibly lightweight.
Are There Any Alternatives?
Yes, there are thousands of alternative biking helmet manufacturers available in the market today. AGV, Shoei, Shark, Arai, Nolan, HJC, Airoh, Bell, Caberg, and Hedon are just some helmet manufacturing brands bikers could buy from. Keep in mind that some of the brands mentioned are premium helmet manufacturers, and their products can be very expensive.
Our Final Thoughts
Overall, Hells Bells Helmets, or BADASS Helmets as they are now called, produce high-quality, durable, comfortable, and stylish helmets that everyone can wear and love. They are protective, DOT approved, extraordinarily lightweight, sit snug and comfortably, and are incredibly fashionable.